NAVI MUMBAI: After a day-long break on Wednesday due to non-availability of police teams, Cidco demolition team took up the drive yet again on Thursday to raze six illegal structures in sector 13, Kharghar.
Sources said that the drive in Kharghar was to divert the attention of angry PAPs from NNMMC areas such as Nerul and Talvali, where demolition was carried out last week and early this week amidst unprecedented agitation.
Over a hundred cops were deployed in the periphery of the demolition site as precautionary measures to thwart any attempt to derail the process. Cidco also stationed 50 of its own security personnel as support staff. Unlike Talvali where tension prevailed, the drive at Kharghar went off peacefully.
“Despite our all our preparation on Wednesday, we could not continue the drive as police bandobast was not provided. Since our drive began on May 26, this is the first time JCBs razed buildings in Kharghar. The drive is being conducted under Sunil Kendrekar, chief administrative officer (new town), and controller of unauthorized construction, Yogesh Mhase’s orders,” said Manoharan Menon, officer on special duty, Cidco. The demolition drive, started after Bombay high court orders, tore down 127 structures in Nerul and five buildings in Talvali in the past two weeks alone.
Airoli MLA Sandeep Naik had even written a letter to the CM urging him to intervene and stop the drive.